Subject: Re: [OMPI users] metahosts (like in MP-MPICH)
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-03-04 11:56:50

On Mar 4, 2009, at 11:38 AM, Yury Tarasievich wrote:

>> I'm not quite sure what an MP-MPICH meta host is.
>> Open MPI allows you to specify multiple hosts in a hostfile and run
>> a single MPI job across all of them, assuming they're connected by
>> at least some common TCP network.
>
> What I need is one MPI job put for distributed computation on
> several actual machines, connected by TCP/IP (so, kind of cluster
> computation). Machines may have heterogenous OSes on them (MP-MPICH
> accounts for that with its HETERO option).
>
> I'm somewhat new to MPI. It's possible, that what I describe is an
> inherent option of MPI implementations. Please advise.

Yes, pretty much all MPI implementations support a single job spanning
multiple hosts.

Open MPI also supports heterogeneity of data representation if you use
the --enable-heterogeneous flag to OMPI's configure.

In general, you need both OMPI and your application compiled natively
for each platform. One easy way to do this is to install Open MPI
locally on each node in the same filesystem location (e.g., /opt/
openmpi-<version>). You also want exactly the same version of Open
MPI on all nodes.

Cisco Systems