Subject: Re: [OMPI users] defining different values for same environment variable
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-28 09:31:18

I think you missed Matt's point -- he was suggesting writing a single
script that just reacts accordingly to which host it is on and sets
the environment variable before launching your back-end MPI
executable. Specifically, instead of:

mpirun ... my_mpi_app

you would do

mpirun ... script.sh

and script.sh would be something like Matt mentioned; it constructs
the GMON_OUT_PREFIX environment variable and then launches my_mpi_app.

Additionally, note that mpirun's -x option *can* set environment
variable. For example:

-----
shell$ cat run
#!/bin/sh
echo $FOO
shell$ mpirun -np 1 -x FOO=bar ./run : -np 1 -x FOO=yow ./run
bar
yow
shell$
-----

On Feb 27, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Nicolas Deladerriere wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Thanks for your solution, but I thought about that and it is not
> really convenient in my configuration to change the executable on
> each node.
> I would like to change only mpirun command.
>

> 2009/2/27 Matt Hughes <matt.c.hughes+ompi_at_[hidden]>
> 2009/2/27 Nicolas Deladerriere <nicolas.deladerriere_at_[hidden]>:
> > I am looking for a way to set environment variable with different
> value on
> > each node before running MPI executable. (not only export the
> environment
> > variable !)
>
> I typically use a script for things like this. So instead of
> specifying your executable directly on the mpirun command line,
> instead specify the script. The script can set the environment
> variable, then launch your executable.
>
> #!/bin/csh
> setenv GMON_OUT_PREFIX 'gmon.out_'`/bin/uname -n`
> myexe
>
> mpirun -np 2 --bynode --hostfile CLUSTER_NODES myscript
>
> I'm not sure if that csh syntax is right, but you get the idea.
>
> mch

Cisco Systems