Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problems in 1.3 loading shared libs when using VampirServer
From: Kiril Dichev (dichev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-26 07:54:30

I am happy to confirm that Jeff's suggestion worked.

The problem was following: in previous versions VampirServer issued

     ComLib = dlopen( driverName, RTLD_LAZY );

Changing this to following fixed the problem:

     ComLib = dlopen( driverName, RTLD_LAZY | RTLD_GLOBAL );

The VampirServer guys compiled the modified version of VampirServer and
now, the shared library Open MPI 1.3 launches VampirServer without

It seems that the previous dlopen call did not have a global scope and
so the VampirServer plugin did not find the Open MPI 1.3 shared objects.

Thanks for the help!

On Tue, 2009-02-24 at 11:02 -0500, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2009, at 8:59 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> > Err... I'm a little confused. We've been emailing about this exact
> > issue for a week or two (off list); you just re-started the
> > conversation from the beginning, moved it to the user's list, and
> > dropped all the CC's (which include several people who are not on
> > this list). Why did you do that?
> GAAH!! Mea maxima culpa. :-(
> My stupid mail program did something strange (exact details
> unimportant) that made me think you re-sent your message to the users
> list yesterday -- thereby re-starting the whole conversation, etc.
> Upon double checking, I see that this is *not* what you did at all --
> my mail program was showing me your original post from Feb 4 and
> making it look like you re-sent it yesterday. I just wasn't careful
> in my reading. Sorry about that; the fault and confusion was entirely
> mine. :-(
> (we're continuing the conversation off-list just because it's gnarly
> and full of details about Vampir that most people probably don't care
> about; they're working on a small example to send to me that
> replicates the problem -- will post back here when we have some kind
> of solution...)
> We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Dipl.-Inf. Kiril Dichev
Tel.: +49 711 685 60492
E-mail: dichev_at_[hidden]
High Performance Computing Center Stuttgart (HLRS)
Universität Stuttgart
70550 Stuttgart