Subject: Re: [OMPI users] lammps MD code fails with Open MPI 1.3
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-20 07:11:20

Actually, there was a big Fortran bug that crept in after 1.3 that was
just fixed on the trunk last night. If you're using Fortran
applications with some compilers (e.g., Intel), the 1.3.1 nightly
snapshots may have hung in some cases. The problem should be fixed in
tonight's 1.3.1 nightly snapshot.

On Feb 20, 2009, at 12:46 AM, Nysal Jan wrote:

> It could be the same bug reported here
> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2009/02/8010.php
>
> Can you try a recent snapshot of 1.3.1
> (http://www.open-mpi.org/nightly/v1.3/) to verify if this has been
> fixed
>
> --Nysal
>
> On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 16:09 -0600, Jeff Pummill wrote:
>> I built a fresh version of lammps v29Jan09 against Open MPI 1.3 which
>> in turn was built with Gnu compilers v4.2.4 on an Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64
>> box. This Open MPI build was able to generate usable binaries such as
>> XHPL and NPB, but the lammps binary it generated was not usable.
>>
>> I tried it with a couple of different versions of the lammps source,
>> but to no avail. No errors during the builds and a binary was
>> created,
>> but when executing the job it quickly exits with no messages other
>> than:
>>
>> jpummil_at_stealth:~$ mpirun -np 4 -hostfile
>> hosts /home/jpummil/lmp_Stealth-OMPI < in.testbench_small
>> LAMMPS (22 Jan 2008)
>>
>> Interestingly, I downloaded Open MPI 1.2.8, built it with the same
>> configure options I had used with 1.3, and it worked.
>>
>> I'm getting by fine with 1.2.8. I just wanted to file a possible bug
>> report on 1.3 and see if others have seen this behavior.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>
>> --
>> Jeff F. Pummill
>> Senior Linux Cluster Administrator