Subject: Re: [OMPI users] WRF, OpenMPI and PGI 7.2
From: Gerry Creager (gerry.creager_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-19 19:36:58

Gus,

I'll give that a try real quick (or as quickly as the compiles can run.

I'd not thought of this solution. I've been context-switching too much
lately. I've gotta look at this for a gigabit cluster as well.

Thanks!

Gus Correa wrote:
> Hi Gerry
>
> You may need to compile a hybrid OpenMPI
> using gcc for C, PGI f90 for Fortran on the OpenMPI configure script.
> This should give you the required mpicc and mpif90 to do the job.
> I guess this is what Elvedin meant on his message.
>
> I have these hybrids for OpenMPI and MPICH2 here
> (not Myrinet but GigE), and they work
> fine with a WRF relative (CAM3, atmospheric climate).
>
> Two cents from
> Gus Correa
> Gustavo Correa
> Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA
>
> Gerry Creager wrote:
>> Elvedin,
>>
>> Yeah, I thought about that after finding a reference to this in the
>> archives, so I redirected the path to MPI toward the gnu-compiled
>> version. It died in THIS manner:
>> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/gerry/WRFv3/WRFV3/external/RSL_LITE'
>> mpicc -cc=gcc -DFSEEKO64_OK -w -O3 -DDM_PARALLEL -c c_code.c
>> pgcc-Error-Unknown switch: -cc=gcc
>> make[3]: [c_code.o] Error 1 (ignored)
>>
>> Methinks the wrf configuration script and make file will need some
>> tweeks.
>>
>> Interesting thing: I have another system (alas, with mpich) where it
>> compiles just fine. I'm trying to sort this out, as on 2 systems,
>> with openMPI, it does odd dances before dying.
>>
>> I'm still trying things. I've gotta get this up both for MY research
>> and to support other users.
>>
>> Thanks, Gerry
>>
>> Elvedin Trnjanin wrote:
>>> WRF almost requires that you use gcc for the C/C++ part and the PGI
>>> Fortran compilers, if you choose that option. I'd suggest compiling
>>> OpenMPI in the same way as that has resolved our various issues. Have
>>> you tried that with the same result?

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager_at_[hidden]
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983