Subject: Re: [OMPI users] undefined symbol: tm_init
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-10 09:06:48

On Feb 9, 2009, at 6:41 PM, Brett Pemberton wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I've just installed OpenMPI 1.3 on our cluster, and am getting this
> issue on jobs > 1 node.
>
> mpiexec: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/openmpi/1.3-pgi/lib/openmpi/
> mca_plm_tm.so: undefined symbol: tm_init
>
> As reported before, I saw someone saying that they solved this with:
> --enable-mca-static=plm:tm
>
> A new install using this configure option does work for me, but only
> for code recompiled with this new mpicc. Existing code doesn't
> spawn properly.

No, it won't since the static libraries for tm plm component weren't
linked directly into the code.

> As such, I'd much rather get the existing install working again.
>
> It was suggested that I need the torque libraries on the compute
> nodes, which they are. However adding them to ld.so.conf has not
> solved this, so I'm not sure what more needs to be done to solve
> this without recompiling openmpi.

I'm not sure what you mean by adding them to ld.so.conf. What you need
to do is install the torque libraries on the compute node in the same
absolute path where they reside on the node where OMPI was built. OMPI
points the executable to look for that location.

Other than that, there shouldn't be a problem.

HTH
Ralph