Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Compilers
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-02-01 06:37:28

You may be able to use an Intel series 11 Fortran compiler with gcc to
compile Open MPI, but it depends on exactly what that series 11
Fortran compiler supports. If they support mixing object files from
multiple compilers like this, then hypothetically OMPI can be compiled
this way (ifort v11 + gcc).

Specifically, our discussion in the FAQ suggests that the simplest way
is to stick with a single compiler vendor/version. That is almost
always the simplest way to compile and use most any software.
However, blended models are possible -- but as I mentioned above, it's
really more of a question for what the compiler itself supports.

On Jan 29, 2009, at 12:11 PM, Amos Leffler wrote:

> Hi Ray,
> If you look at the Intel Series 11 compilers there are
> warnings about mixing various
> types of compilers although the Series 11 C++ Release Notes do talk
> about Eclipse Integration and C/C++ Development tools. I think that
> I will get in touch with Intel before I do much more.
> Can you imagine 28 pages of Release Notes! Thanks for your reply.
> Amos
> Leffler
>
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:55 AM, Raymond Wan <rwan_at_[hidden]
> > wrote:
>
> Hi Amos,
>

> Amos Leffler wrote:
> I want to compile Open-mpi using intel compilers.
> Unfortunately the Series 10 C compiler(icc) license has expired. I
> downloaded and looked at the Series 11 C++ compiler (no C compiler
> listed)
> and would like to know if you can use this together with an enclosed
> or
> obtained C compiler from Intel. The release notes are a bit
> overwhelming!
> Is it possible to use the standard Linux gcc instead?
>

> Yes you can use gcc/g++ as that is what I use. I do not know about
> Intel's compilers though as I don't use them. However, this answer
> in the FAQ seems to address your query:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-compilers
>
> ...and the answer seems to be "yes" (in fact, Intel compilers is the
> example used).
>
> Ray

Cisco Systems