Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Openmpi 1.3 problems with libtool-ltdl on CentOS 4 and 5
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-31 08:09:11

On Jan 30, 2009, at 4:25 PM, Roy Dragseth wrote:

> I'm not very familiar with the workings of ltdl, I got this from one
> of our
> users. Would you suggest that if one use openmpi 1.3 and ltdl you
> should not
> explicitly link with -lltdl? At least this seems to work correctly
> with the
> example I posted. That is, I can link the program without specifying
> -lltdl so
> the symbol seems to resolve to something in the openmpi libraries
> and the
> example runs without crashing.

Yes, that is what I would recommend.

I note that the Libtool v2.2.6a docs explicitly describe this problem
and say "don't do that" (see section 11.6). But I agree that it's a
less-than-optimal solution for OMPI users because you shouldn't need
to know/care that Open MPI embeds its own copy of libltdl. I have
just posted to the libtool-bug mailing list to see if they would
consider a configure option to add a prefix to OMPI's internal libltdl
symbols, thereby preventing clashes like this. Let's see what they say.

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2009-01/msg00032.html

Cisco Systems