Open MPI logo

Open MPI User's Mailing List Archives

  |   Home   |   Support   |   FAQ   |   all Open MPI User's mailing list

Subject: [OMPI users] 1.3 hangs running 2 exes with different names
From: Geoffroy Pignot (geopignot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-22 07:42:07


Hello , still a bug ???

compil03% /tmp/openmpi-1.3/bin/mpirun -n 1 --wdir /tmp --host compil03 a.out
: -n 1 --host compil02 a.out
Hello world from process 0 of 2
Hello world from process 1 of 2

compil03% mv a.out a.out_32
compil03% /tmp/openmpi-1.3/bin/mpirun -n 1 --wdir /tmp --host compil03
a.out_32 : -n 1 --host compil02 a.out
HANGS

Thanks in advance for your expertise

Geoffroy

2009/1/22 <users-request_at_[hidden]>

> Send users mailing list submissions to
> users_at_[hidden]
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> users-request_at_[hidden]
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> users-owner_at_[hidden]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of users digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. One additional (unwanted) process when using dynamical
> process management (Evgeniy Gromov)
> 2. Re: One additional (unwanted) process when using dynamical
> process management (Ralph Castain)
> 3. Re: One additional (unwanted) process when using dynamical
> process management (Evgeniy Gromov)
> 4. Re: One additional (unwanted) process when using dynamical
> process management (Ralph Castain)
> 5. Re: openmpi 1.3 and --wdir problem (Ralph Castain)
> 6. Re: Problem compiling open mpi 1.3 with sunstudio12 express
> (Jeff Squyres)
> 7. Handling output of processes (jody)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:02:48 +0100
> From: Evgeniy Gromov <Evgeniy.Gromov_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: [OMPI users] One additional (unwanted) process when using
> dynamical process management
> To: users_at_[hidden]
> Message-ID: <49776348.8000900_at_[hidden]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Dear OpenMPI users,
>
> I have the following (problem) related to OpenMPI:
> I have recently compiled with OPenMPI the new (4-1)
> Global Arrays package using ARMCI_NETWORK=MPI-SPAWN,
> which implies the use of dynamic process management
> realised in MPI2. It got compiled and tested successfully.
> However when it is spawning on different nodes (machine) one
> additional process on each node appears, i.e. if nodes=2:ppn=2
> then on each node there are 3 running processes. In the case
> when it runs just on one pc with a few cores (let say nodes=1:ppn=4),
> the number of processes exactly equals the number of cpus (ppn)
> requested and there is no additional process.
> I am wondering whether it is normal behavior. Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
> Evgeniy
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:15:00 -0700
> From: Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] One additional (unwanted) process when using
> dynamical process management
> To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
> Message-ID: <4CCBD3F8-937F-4F8B-B953-F9CF9DD45EF5_at_[hidden]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes
>
> Not that I've seen. What version of OMPI are you using, and on what
> type of machine/environment?
>
>
> On Jan 21, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Evgeniy Gromov wrote:
>
> > Dear OpenMPI users,
> >
> > I have the following (problem) related to OpenMPI:
> > I have recently compiled with OPenMPI the new (4-1)
> > Global Arrays package using ARMCI_NETWORK=MPI-SPAWN,
> > which implies the use of dynamic process management
> > realised in MPI2. It got compiled and tested successfully.
> > However when it is spawning on different nodes (machine) one
> > additional process on each node appears, i.e. if nodes=2:ppn=2
> > then on each node there are 3 running processes. In the case
> > when it runs just on one pc with a few cores (let say nodes=1:ppn=4),
> > the number of processes exactly equals the number of cpus (ppn)
> > requested and there is no additional process.
> > I am wondering whether it is normal behavior. Thanks!
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Evgeniy
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > users mailing list
> > users_at_[hidden]
> > http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 19:30:27 +0100
> From: Evgeniy Gromov <Evgeniy.Gromov_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] One additional (unwanted) process when using
> dynamical process management
> To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
> Message-ID: <497769C3.8070201_at_[hidden]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Dear Ralph,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> I encountered this problem using openmpi-1.2.5,
> on a Opteron cluster with Myrinet-mx. I tried for
> compilation of Global Arrays different compilers
> (gfortran, intel, pathscale), the result is the same.
>
> As I mentioned in the previous message GA itself works
> fine, but the application which uses it doesn't work
> correctly if it runs on several nodes. If it runs on
> one node with several cores everything is fine. So I
> thought that the problem might be in this additional
> process.
>
> Should I try to use the latest 1.3 version of openmpi?
>
> Best,
> Evgeniy
>
> Ralph Castain wrote:
> > Not that I've seen. What version of OMPI are you using, and on what type
> > of machine/environment?
> >
> >
> > On Jan 21, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Evgeniy Gromov wrote:
> >
> >> Dear OpenMPI users,
> >>
> >> I have the following (problem) related to OpenMPI:
> >> I have recently compiled with OPenMPI the new (4-1)
> >> Global Arrays package using ARMCI_NETWORK=MPI-SPAWN,
> >> which implies the use of dynamic process management
> >> realised in MPI2. It got compiled and tested successfully.
> >> However when it is spawning on different nodes (machine) one
> >> additional process on each node appears, i.e. if nodes=2:ppn=2
> >> then on each node there are 3 running processes. In the case
> >> when it runs just on one pc with a few cores (let say nodes=1:ppn=4),
> >> the number of processes exactly equals the number of cpus (ppn)
> >> requested and there is no additional process.
> >> I am wondering whether it is normal behavior. Thanks!
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Evgeniy
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> users mailing list
> >> users_at_[hidden]
> >> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > users mailing list
> > users_at_[hidden]
> > http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
> >
>
>
> --
> _______________________________________
> Dr. Evgeniy Gromov
> Theoretische Chemie
> Physikalisch-Chemisches Institut
> Im Neuenheimer Feld 229
> D-69120 Heidelberg
> Germany
>
> Telefon: +49/(0)6221/545263
> Fax: +49/(0)6221/545221
> E-mail: evgeniy_at_[hidden]
> _______________________________________
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:38:48 -0700
> From: Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] One additional (unwanted) process when
> using
> dynamical process management
> To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
> Message-ID: <75C59577-D1EA-422B-A0B9-7F1C28E8D4CF_at_[hidden]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes
>
> If you can, 1.3 would certainly be a good step to take. I'm not sure
> why 1.2.5 would be behaving this way, though, so it may indeed be
> something in the application (perhaps in the info key being passed to
> us?) that is the root cause.
>
> Still, if it isn't too much trouble, moving to 1.3 will provide you
> with a better platform for dynamic process management regardless.
>
> Ralph
>
>
> On Jan 21, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Evgeniy Gromov wrote:
>
> > Dear Ralph,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply.
> > I encountered this problem using openmpi-1.2.5,
> > on a Opteron cluster with Myrinet-mx. I tried for
> > compilation of Global Arrays different compilers
> > (gfortran, intel, pathscale), the result is the same.
> >
> > As I mentioned in the previous message GA itself works
> > fine, but the application which uses it doesn't work
> > correctly if it runs on several nodes. If it runs on
> > one node with several cores everything is fine. So I
> > thought that the problem might be in this additional
> > process.
> >
> > Should I try to use the latest 1.3 version of openmpi?
> >
> > Best,
> > Evgeniy
> >
> > Ralph Castain wrote:
> >> Not that I've seen. What version of OMPI are you using, and on what
> >> type of machine/environment?
> >> On Jan 21, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Evgeniy Gromov wrote:
> >>> Dear OpenMPI users,
> >>>
> >>> I have the following (problem) related to OpenMPI:
> >>> I have recently compiled with OPenMPI the new (4-1)
> >>> Global Arrays package using ARMCI_NETWORK=MPI-SPAWN,
> >>> which implies the use of dynamic process management
> >>> realised in MPI2. It got compiled and tested successfully.
> >>> However when it is spawning on different nodes (machine) one
> >>> additional process on each node appears, i.e. if nodes=2:ppn=2
> >>> then on each node there are 3 running processes. In the case
> >>> when it runs just on one pc with a few cores (let say
> >>> nodes=1:ppn=4),
> >>> the number of processes exactly equals the number of cpus (ppn)
> >>> requested and there is no additional process.
> >>> I am wondering whether it is normal behavior. Thanks!
> >>>
> >>> Best regards,
> >>> Evgeniy
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> users mailing list
> >>> users_at_[hidden]
> >>> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> users mailing list
> >> users_at_[hidden]
> >> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
> >
> >
> > --
> > _______________________________________
> > Dr. Evgeniy Gromov
> > Theoretische Chemie
> > Physikalisch-Chemisches Institut
> > Im Neuenheimer Feld 229
> > D-69120 Heidelberg
> > Germany
> >
> > Telefon: +49/(0)6221/545263
> > Fax: +49/(0)6221/545221
> > E-mail: evgeniy_at_[hidden]
> > _______________________________________
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > users mailing list
> > users_at_[hidden]
> > http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:40:28 -0700
> From: Ralph Castain <rhc_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] openmpi 1.3 and --wdir problem
> To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
> Message-ID: <B57EA438-1C8A-467C-B791-96EABE6031F4_at_[hidden]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes
>
> This is now fixed in the trunk and will be in the 1.3.1 release.
>
> Thanks again for the heads-up!
> Ralph
>
> On Jan 21, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Ralph Castain wrote:
>
> > You are correct - that is a bug in 1.3.0. I'm working on a fix for
> > it now and will report back.
> >
> > Thanks for catching it!
> > Ralph
> >
> >
> > On Jan 21, 2009, at 3:22 AM, Geoffroy Pignot wrote:
> >
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I'm currently trying the new release but I cant reproduce the
> >> 1.2.8 behaviour
> >> concerning --wdir option
> >>
> >> Then
> >> %% /tmp/openmpi-1.2.8/bin/mpirun -n 1 --wdir /tmp --host r003n030
> >> pwd : --wdir /scr1 -n 1 --host r003n031 pwd
> >> /scr1
> >> /tmp
> >>
> >> but
> >> %% /tmp/openmpi-1.3/bin/mpirun -n 1 --wdir /tmp --host r003n030
> >> pwd : --wdir /scr1 -n 1 --host r003n031 pwd
> >> /scr1
> >> /scr1
> >> Thanks in advance
> >> Regards
> >> Geoffroy
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> users mailing list
> >> users_at_[hidden]
> >> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > users mailing list
> > users_at_[hidden]
> > http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:06:42 -0500
> From: Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problem compiling open mpi 1.3 with
> sunstudio12 express
> To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
> Message-ID: <36FCDF58-9138-46A9-A432-CDF2A99A1CD7_at_[hidden]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes
>
> FWIW, I have run with my LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to a combination of
> multiple OMPI installations; it ended up using the leftmost entry in
> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH (as I intended). I'm not quite sure why it
> wouldn't do that for you. :-(
>
>
> On Jan 21, 2009, at 4:53 AM, Olivier Marsden wrote:
>
> >
> >>
> >> - Check that /opt/mpi_sun and /opt/mpi_gfortran* are actually
> >> distinct subdirectories; there's no hidden sym/hard links in there
> >> somewhere (where directories and/or individual files might
> >> accidentally be pointing to the other tree)
> >>
> >
> > no hidden links in the directories
> >
> >> - does "env | grep mpi_" show anything interesting / revealing?
> >> What is your LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to?
> >>
> > Nothing in env | grep mpi, and for the purposes of building,
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to
> > /opt/sun/express/sunstudioceres/lib/:/opt/mpi_sun/lib:xxx
> > where xxx is, among other things, the other mpi installations.
> > This lead me to find a problem, but which seems to be more related
> > to my linux configuration than openmpi:
> > I tried redefining ld_library_path to point just to sun, and
> > everything works correctly.
> > Putting my previous paths back into the variable leads to erroneous
> > behaviour, with ldd indicating that mpif90
> > is linked to libraries in the gfortran tree.
> > I thought that ld looked for libraries in folders in the order that
> > the folders are given in ld_library_path, and so
> > having mpi_sun as the first folder would suffice for its libraries
> > to be used; is that where I was wrong?
> > Sorry for the trouble, in any case redefining the ld_library_path to
> > remove all references to other installations works.
> > Looks like I'll have to swot up on my linker configuration knowledge!
> > Thanks alot for your time,
> >
> > Olivier Marsden
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > users mailing list
> > users_at_[hidden]
> > http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:58:22 +0100
> From: jody <jody.xha_at_[hidden]>
> Subject: [OMPI users] Handling output of processes
> To: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
> Message-ID:
> <9b0da5ce0901220058n6e534224i78a6daf6b0afc209_at_[hidden]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Hi
> I have a small cluster consisting of 9 computers (8x2 CPUs, 1x4 CPUs).
> I would like to be able to observe the output of the processes
> separately during an mpirun.
>
> What i currently do is to apply the mpirun to a shell script which
> opens a xterm for each process,
> which then starts the actual application.
>
> This works, but is a bit complicated, e.g. finding the window you're
> interested in among 19 others.
>
> So i was wondering is there a possibility to capture the processes'
> outputs separately, so
> i can make an application in which i can switch between the different
> processor outputs?
> I could imagine that could be done by wrapper applications which
> redirect the output over a TCP
> socket to a server application.
>
> But perhaps there is an easier way, or something like this alread does
> exist?
>
> Thank You
> Jody
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list
> users_at_[hidden]
> http://www.open-mpi.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/users
>
> End of users Digest, Vol 1126, Issue 1
> **************************************
>