Subject: [OMPI users] One additional (unwanted) process when using dynamical process management
From: Evgeniy Gromov (Evgeniy.Gromov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-21 13:02:48

Dear OpenMPI users,

I have the following (problem) related to OpenMPI:
I have recently compiled with OPenMPI the new (4-1)
Global Arrays package using ARMCI_NETWORK=MPI-SPAWN,
which implies the use of dynamic process management
realised in MPI2. It got compiled and tested successfully.
However when it is spawning on different nodes (machine) one
additional process on each node appears, i.e. if nodes=2:ppn=2
then on each node there are 3 running processes. In the case
when it runs just on one pc with a few cores (let say nodes=1:ppn=4),
the number of processes exactly equals the number of cpus (ppn)
requested and there is no additional process.
I am wondering whether it is normal behavior. Thanks!

Best regards,
Evgeniy