Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problem compiling open mpi 1.3 with sunstudio12 express
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-20 17:15:22

On Jan 20, 2009, at 5:04 PM, Olivier Marsden wrote:

> f90 works correctly, when run simply as f90 or as /opt/sun/etc.../
> f90, and binaries run properly (sun f90 appears
> to give excellent performance, incidently!)
>
> the command /opt/mpi_sun/bin/mpif90 --show-me
> returns:
>
> /home/marsden/sources/gcc_final/bin/gfortran -I/opt/mpi_gfortran4.4//
> include -pthread -I/opt/mpi_gfortran4.4//lib -L/opt/mpi_gfortran4.4//
> lib -lmpi_f90 -lmpi_f77 -lmpi -lopen-rte -lopen-pal -ldl -Wl,--
> export-dynamic -lnsl -lutil -lm -ldl

Interesting.

> For what it's worth, and as you've probably guessed, I do have
> another version installation of openmpi.
> In fact two, one with the system gcc/gfortran4.2, and one with a
> locally compiled gcc/gfortran4.4 .
> These both work correctly. The second installation seems to be
> interfering with my current attempt,
> even though I exported all environment variables I can think of to
> point to sun compilers & libraries first,
> before configure & compile.

I have oodles of installations of OMPI on my machines; they don't
interfere with each other.

So let's see if we can figure out why yours don't seem to play well
together:

- Check that /opt/mpi_sun and /opt/mpi_gfortran* are actually distinct
subdirectories; there's no hidden sym/hard links in there somewhere
(where directories and/or individual files might accidentally be
pointing to the other tree)

- does "env | grep mpi_" show anything interesting / revealing? What
is your LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to?

- what does ldd on the various .so files in /opt/mpi_sun/lib/ show?
Are they linked against files in their own tree, or the other tree?

- run "mpif90 --showme" through strace; does it show anything
illuminating?

Cisco Systems