Subject: [OMPI users] delay in launch?
From: Jeff Dusenberry (jdusenberry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2009-01-15 10:20:32

I'm trying to launch multiple xterms under OpenMPI 1.2.8 and the SGE job
scheduler for purposes of running a serial debugger. I'm experiencing
file-locking problems on the .Xauthority file.

I tried to fix this by asking for a delay between successive launches,
to reduce the chances of contention for the lock by:

~$ qrsh -pe mpi 4 -P CIS /share/apps/openmpi/bin/mpiexec --mca
pls_rsh_debug 1 --mca pls_rsh_delay 5 xterm

The 'pls_rsh_delay 5' parameter seems to have no effect. I tried
replacing 'pls_rsh_debug 1' with 'orte_debug 1', which gave me
additional debugging output, but didn't fix the file locking problem.

Sometimes the above commands will work and I will get all 4 xterms, but
more often I will get an error:

/usr/bin/X11/xauth: error in locking authority file
/export/home/duse/.Xauthority

followed by

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:11.0

and one or more of the xterms will fail to open.

Am I missing something? Is there another debug flag I need to set? Any
suggestions for a better way to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff