Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Axon BTL for OpenMPI?
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-12 08:45:56

Just to clarify: are you talking about using this on RoadRunner to
move data from the Opteron to the Cell blades? Or are you talking
about using OpenMPI on some other machine?

If you are interested in RR, we should probably continue the
discussion off-list. The short answer is that we have a mechanism for
launching MPI procs on the cell blades, and there has indeed been work
done to create a BTL so that OMPI can move data across between the
Opterons and cells. However, it has never been added to the OMPI code
base and/or fully completed to production quality.

If there is interest in such capability, it can be done. We just
hadn't heard any expressions of interest, and so it remains on the
back burner.

Ralph