Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Issue with Profiling Fortran code
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-06 08:33:11

On Dec 5, 2008, at 6:58 PM, Anthony Chan wrote:

> AFAIK, all known/popular MPI implemention's fortran binding
> layer is implemented with C MPI functions, including
> MPICH2 and OpenMPI. If MPICH2's fortran layer was implemented
> the way you said, typical profiling tools including MPE will
> fail to work with fortran applications.

FWIW, NEC's MPI has their Fortran functions directly call back-end
functionality (vs. calling the C MPI API). We've considered doing
this for at least some key Fortran MPI API functions in Open MPI as
well. Specifically, have MPI_SEND [Fortran] directly call the back-
end sending functionality rather than calling MPI_Send [C] or
PMPI_Send [C].

Hence, I don't think it's a good assumption to rely on (that the MPI
Fortran API always calls the [P]MPI C API).

I think one of George's middle points is the most relevant here: those
who are interested in this stuff should definitely participate in the
MPI Forum's Tools group:

     https://svn.mpi-forum.org/trac/mpi-forum-web/wiki/MPI3Tools

Cisco Systems