Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Issue with Profiling Fortran code
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-12-05 12:29:19

On Dec 5, 2008, at 12:22 PM, Edgar Gabriel wrote:

> I hope you are aware, that *many* tools and application actually
> profile the fortran MPI layer by intercepting the C function calls.
> This allows them to not have to deal with f2c translation of MPI
> objects and not worry about the name mangling issue. Would there be
> a way to have both options e.g. as a configure flag? The current
> commit basically breaks all of these applications...

I was unaware of this, actually.

So it'd be pretty easy to have a configure switch for this (it would
be a bunch more work for a run-time switch; I don't know if it's
really worth it?). Should we default to the current behavior, and
have the configure switch enable call stacks like this:

   MPI_Comm_rank_f
   PMPI_Comm_rank_f
   PMPI_Comm_rank

?