Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI on a LAN
From: Raymond Wan (rwan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-27 22:29:17

Hi Heitor,

Heitor Florido wrote:
> Hello,
> I have built an application using opemmpi 1.2.8 that is a client/server
> application that uses MPI_publish_name and MPI_Lookup_name to start the
> communication.
> This application works fine on a single computer.
> However, i'd like to run it on 2 pcs using linux (ubuntu) connected by a
> LAN.
> If I start the server on a computer, my cliente can't find the name
> published by the server and crashes.
> What should I do make this work?
> I believe that my application is correct, so I think I need to install some
> other service to make MPI see the other computer.
> []s

Have you installed Open MPI on both computers? And can you run your
application as a single computer on both computers? (i.e., each one
working independently)

If you are concerned about your Open MPI installation, you can try some
simple code from the web that has been shown to work to confirm that the
problem is not with your application (I'm not saying it is :-), just
suggesting that you should remove it from the equation, if you can).

Ray