Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Open MPI programs with autoconf/automake?
From: Raymond Wan (rwan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-09 22:35:30

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your reply!

Indeed, I was never going to look at OMPI's use of AC/AM...no doubt that
would be far too complex for me. :-)

The AC/AM documents I have found so far are quite difficult for me -- I
really am starting from zero. Prior to using MPI, I have been writing
my own Makefiles and for the projects I work on [usually alone], that
was sufficient. However, your tip did help me; I dropped "MPI" from my
search and added "tutorial" instead and the hits are better.

As a starting point, I probably will only support open source MPIs. One
thing I was wondering about was whether it is possible, though the use
of #define's, to create code that is both multi-processor (MPI/mpic++)
and single-processor (normal g++). That is, if users do not have any
MPI installed, it compiles it with g++.

With #define's and compiler flags, I think that can be easily done --
was wondering if this is something that developers using MPI do and
whether AC/AM supports it.

But thanks and I'll try more phrase combinations in google...

Ray