Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Compiling on different servers
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-07 08:49:14

On Nov 6, 2008, at 10:33 PM, Robert Kubrick wrote:

> Moving one step foreword, server 1, my compile server, has a number
> of commercial C++ compilers (Pathscale and Intel). I'd like to
> compile different version of the binary with each compiler and then
> run these binaries on the Server 2 g++-compiled OMPI environments.
> The FAQ says "not really, you can't do that": http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=sysadmin#multiple-installs
> , but I thought it might be time for an update with some hands-on
> experience?

You probably still can't do this. C++ compilers have different symbol
mangling schemes and generally do not create executables that are link
compatible with g++. *Some* C++ compilers may be link compatible with
g++ (I seem to recall someone mentioning this before); check your
vendors' docs and/or try a simple non-MPI C++ app to see if it works.

Good luck.

Cisco Systems