Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Compiling on different servers
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-06 09:02:20

As long as you compiled OMPI with support for OFED, yes. You will
need to have OFED installed on server 1 (even if you have no
OpenFabrics-capable devices) to build OMPI's OpenFabrics support.

FWIW, I do this kind of thing all the time: build OMPI on one machine
and NFS export it to all the machines in my cluster, some of which are
semi-heterogeneous (e.g., some have OFED installed, some do not, etc.).

On Nov 6, 2008, at 1:00 AM, Robert Kubrick wrote:

> According to this FAQ, one should be able to compile on a computer
> and then run the OMPI program on different hardware, as far as the c+
> + compiler and OMPI versions are the same: http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=sysadmin#new-openmpi-version
>
> I have the following situation:
>
> Server 1
> Fabric: Ethernet
> Compiler: g++ 4.2
> OpenMPI: 1.2.8
>
> Server 2
> Fabric: InfiniBand/Ethernet
> Compiler: g++ 4.2
> OpenMPI: 1.2.8
>
> Can I compile my program on Server 1 and then run it on Server 2 on
> IB (mpirun --mca btl openib,self...) ?

Cisco Systems