Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problems installing in Cygwin - Problem with GCC 3.4.4
From: Terry Frankcombe (terry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-03 20:59:50

> On Nov 3, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>
>>> For your fortran issue, the Fortran 90 interface needs the Fortran 77
>>> interface. So you need to supply an F77 as well (the output from
>>> configure
>>> should indicate that the F90 interface was disabled because the F77
>>> interface was disabled).
>>
>> Is that what you mean (see below)?
>
> Ah yes -- that's another reason the f90 interface could be disabled:
> if configure detects that the f77 and f90 compilers are not link-
> compatible.
>
>> I thought the g95 compiler could
>> deal with F77 as well as F95... If so, could I just pass F77='g95'?
>
> That would probably work (F77=g95). I don't know the g95 compiler at
> all, so I don't know if it also accepts Fortran-77-style codes. But
> if it does, then you're set. Otherwise, specify a different F77
> compiler that is link compatible with g95 and you should be good.

Fortran 90 is a superset of the archaic, hamstrung, "I'm too old to learn
how to program in a useful manner and I still use punched cards" Fortran
77. All Fortran 90 compilers are Fortran 77 compilers, by definition.
Fortran 95 has a few (~5) deleted features and a few minor added features.
 I've never heard of a Fortran 95 compiler that wasn't a Fortran 90
compiler, and thus a Fortran 77 compiler.

Take g77 and throw it away. While it's not particularly buggy, it hasn't
been maintained for years and should be out-performed by a more modern
compiler such as g95 or gfortran.