Subject: [OMPI users] switch from mpich2 to openMPI <newbie question>
From: PattiMichelle (miche1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-03 15:59:59

I just found out I need to switch from mpich2 to openMPI for some code
I'm running. I noticed that it's available in an openSuSE repo (I'm
using openSuSE 11.0 x86_64 on a TYAN 32-processor Opteron 8000 system),
but when I was using mpich2 I seemed to have better luck compiling it
from code. This is the line I used:

# $ F77=/path/to/g95 F90=/path/to/g95 ./configure
--prefix=/some/place/mpich2-install

But usually I left the "--prefix=" off and just let it install to it's
default... which is /usr/local/bin and that's nice because it's already
in the PATH and very usable. I guess my question is whether or not the
defaults and configuration syntax have stayed the same in openMPI. I
also could use a "quickstart" guide for a non-programming user (e.g., I
think I have to start a daemon before running parallelized programs).

THANKS!!!
PattiM.