Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problems installing in Cygwin - Problem with GCC 3.4.4
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-11-03 15:52:22

On Nov 3, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Gustavo Seabra wrote:

>> For your fortran issue, the Fortran 90 interface needs the Fortran 77
>> interface. So you need to supply an F77 as well (the output from
>> configure
>> should indicate that the F90 interface was disabled because the F77
>> interface was disabled).
>
> Is that what you mean (see below)?

Ah yes -- that's another reason the f90 interface could be disabled:
if configure detects that the f77 and f90 compilers are not link-
compatible.

> I thought the g95 compiler could
> deal with F77 as well as F95... If so, could I just pass F77='g95'?

That would probably work (F77=g95). I don't know the g95 compiler at
all, so I don't know if it also accepts Fortran-77-style codes. But
if it does, then you're set. Otherwise, specify a different F77
compiler that is link compatible with g95 and you should be good.
>>> I looked in some places in the OpenMPI code, but I couldn't find
>>> "max" being redefined anywhere, but I may be looking in the wrong
>>> places. Anyways, the only way of found of compiling OpenMPI was a
>>> very
>>> ugly hack: I have to go into those files and remove the "std::"
>>> before
>>> the "max". With that, it all compiled cleanly.
>>
>> I'm not sure I follow -- I don't see anywhere in OMPI where we use
>> std::max.
>> What areas did you find that you needed to change?
>
> These files are part of the standard C++ headers. In my case, they
> sit in:
> /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/include/c++/bits

Ah, I see.

> In principle, the problems that comes from those files would mean that
> the OpenMPI source has some macro redefining max, but that's what I
> could not find :-(

Gotcha. I don't think we are defining a "max" macro anywhere in the
ompi_info source or related header files. :-(

>> No. We don't really maintain the "make check" stuff too well.
>
> Oh well... What do you use for testing the implementation?

We have a whole pile of MPI tests in a private SVN repository. The
repository is only private because it contains a lot of other people's
[public] MPI test suites and benchmarks, and we never looked into
redistribution rights for their software. There's nothing really
secret about it -- we just haven't bothered to look into the IP
issues. :-)

We use the MPI Testing Tool (MTT) for nightly regression across the
community:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/mtt/

We have weekday and weekend testing schedules. M-Th we do nightly
tests; F-Mon morning, we do a long weekend schedule. This weekend,
for example, we ran about 675k regression tests:

     http://www.open-mpi.org/mtt/index.php?do_redir=875

Cisco Systems