Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Fwd: Problems installing in Cygwin
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-30 16:40:22

On Oct 30, 2008, at 9:18 AM, Gustavo Seabra wrote:

>> Understood; this was a more complete/precise meaning for my
>> question "Is
>> there any other OS where
>> dlsym() is present by RTLD_NEXT is not?" I suppose we can extend the
>> configure test to check for RTLD_NEXT as well. In this way, that
>> component
>> won't even decide to build itself. You won't need this component,
>> because
>> it's only really useful for the OpenFabrics and [ancient] Myricom
>> GM drivers
>> in Open MPI, neither of which are likely to be supported in Cygwin.
>
> That should be good enough, at least for that part. Or testing first
> for the presence of OpenFabrics or Myricom? Maybe it could just test
> for the existence of GNU extensions? I don't know. I understand it
> must be really hard to keep track of what is standard and what is not
> these days. I'm just thankful that you guys are looking into it.
> Thanks!

My plate is pretty full trying to get v1.3.0 out the door and prepare
for SC -- I don't know if this will be fixed before then. But I've
opened a ticket about it:

> Well... I don't. It's just that, due to specifics of my work, I need
> to work on a Windows computer, but I also like to use many unix
> features / commands. So, I just use Cygwin out of convenience, which
> in a way gives me the best of both worlds without the need to dual
> boot.

Fair enough.

> However, the other reason I use Cygwin is because I work in the
> development of a program and it is very convenient to do that in
> Cygwin, especially when I'm traveling and only have access to my
> laptop. Many users have this program running in Cygwin, so it's also
> good to have a place to test it. I don't really use Cygwin for the
> long "production" runs that would actually require a MPI, for that I
> have access to local clusters or Teragrid. My problem is testing the
> parallel version in Cygwin (or if any changes made break the parallel
> implementation) because I still did not manage to install a MPI in
> Cygwin.
>
> In fact, I have never tried a VM :-$ I guess I should give it a try
> sometime. Do you have any recommendations? My only requirements are
> that (i) it works, (ii) it's free.

I don't know if there are free VM's or not, but you could try a 30 day
free trial of vmware (or equivalent) and see if you like it. IIRC,
it's not terribly expensive if you end up liking it. :-)

FWIW: I use Parallels (an OS X VM) on my Mac because Cisco lives and
dies by Outlook calendaring. :-)

Cisco Systems