Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI runtime-specific environment variable?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-23 16:27:15

FWIW, I suggested the OMPI_<function>() method for two reasons:

1. It's stable and would divorce itself from any underlying env
variables that may change over time (although starting with v1.3, some
of the ones Ralph mentioned shouldn't be changing)

2. Providing OMPI_* functions is a pre-standardization mechanism to
see if users really want/can use them. If we get feedback that they
are useful, that's a good data point to the Forum to actually have an
official MPI_* version of the function that will be standardized.

And I wasn't clear before -- I was assuming that this particular
OMPI_<function> would allow itself to be called before MPI_INIT().
Otherwise, that would somewhat defeat the point of Brian's request. :-)

Cisco Systems