Subject: Re: [OMPI users] test OpenMPI without Internet access
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-22 11:46:14

On Oct 19, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Wen Hao Wang wrote:

> I have one cluster without Internet connection. I want to test
> OpenMPI functions on it. It seems MTT can not be used. Do I have any
> other choice for the testing?

You can always run tests manually. MTT is simply our harness for
automated testing, which *usually* (but not always) involves
downloading the latest nightly snapshot from the IU web site.

You can certainly configure MTT to use a local copy of Open MPI and
not use the IU web nightly snapshot.

> I have tried lamtest. "make -k check" gave a lot of IB related
> warnings, indicating that my dat.conf file contained invalid entry.
> Each machine of my cluster has one IB connectX adapter installed.
> But do not know why lamtest detected that.

You must have built with udapl support. Open MPI will use as many
interfaces as you have built for; if you have built support for udapl
(which I do not believe we build by default on Linux -- you have to
specifically ask for it to be built because [among other reasons] OMPI
would prefer to use verbs, not udapl), then we initialize udapl at run
time and if you have an illegal dat.conf file, then I'm guessing udapl
is complaining about it. I don't know very much about udapl, so I
can't give good guidance here (other than suggesting not building
udapl support and just testing the native verbs support, which is
where we put all of our effort for Linux/OpenFabrics/Open MPI support).

OMPI's udapl support is mainly for Sun, because udapl *is* [currently]
their high-performance network stack.

Cisco Systems