Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI runtime-specific environment variable?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-22 09:21:19

I wonder if it would be useful to have an OMPI-specific extension for
this kind of functionality, perhaps OMPI_Was_launched_by_mpirun() (or
something with a better name, etc.)...?

This would be a pretty easy function for us to provide (right
Ralph?). My question is -- would this (and perhaps other similar
extensions) be useful to the community at large?

On Oct 21, 2008, at 5:46 PM, Adams, Brian M wrote:

>> I'm not sure I understand the problem. The ale3d program from
>> LLNL operates exactly as you describe and it can be built
>> with mpich, lam, or openmpi.
>
> Hi Doug,
>
> I'm not sure what reply would be most helpful, so here's an attempt.
>
> It sounds like we're on the same page with regard to the desired
> behavior. Historically, we've been able to detect serial vs.
> parallel launch of the binary foo, with a whole host of
> implementations, including those you mention, as well as some vendor-
> specific implementations (possibly including DEC/OSF, SGI, Sun, and
> AIX/poe, though I don't know all the details). We typically
> distinguish serial from parallel executions on the basis of
> environment variables set only in the MPI runtime environment. I
> was just trying to ascertain what variable would be best to test for
> in an OpenMPI environment, and I think Ralph helped with that.
>
> If the ale3d code takes a different approach, I'd love to hear about
> it, off-list if necessary.
>
> Brian

Cisco Systems