Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI runtime-specific environment variable?
From: Adams, Brian M (briadam_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-21 18:08:13

I might have created some confusion here too. The goal is to build an MPI-enabled binary 'foo' which a user may invoke as

(1) ./foo
-OR-
(2) mpirun -np 4 ./foo

The binary foo then determines at run-time whether it is to run in (1) serial, where MPI_Init will never be called; or (2) parallel, calling MPI_Init and so on. This is a historical behavior which we need to preserve, at least for our present software release.

> You are making something like "strings the_binary" and grep
> for indications of the compilation type? For the standard
> Open MPI with shared libraries a "ldd the_binary" might
> reveal some information.

Hadn't thought to do that actually, since it addresses a slightly different problem than I propose above. Thanks for the suggestion. This is another possibility if instead of doing this detection directly in our binary, we decide to change to a wrapper script approach.

In any case, I appreciate all the discussion -- I believe I have a reasonable path forward using a combination of pre-processor defines that the OMPI wrappers and headers make with the runtime environment variables Ralph suggested (I'll just check for both the <1.3 and >= 1.3 environment cases).

Brian