Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI runtime-specific environment variable?
From: Ralph Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-20 19:38:05

It depends on what you are trying to do. If you intend to use this
solely with OMPI 1.2.x, then you could use some of those. However,
they are risky as they are in general internal to OMPI's
infrastructure - and thus, subject to change from one release to
another.

We do have some environmental variables that we guarantee to be
"stable" across releases. You could look for OMPI_COMM_WORLD_SIZE, or
OMPI_UNIVERSE_SIZE (there are a couple of others as well, but any of
these would do).

However, these will only tell you that the job was launched via OMPI's
mpirun - it won't tell you that it was a parallel job. It could be a
serial job that just happened to be launched by mpirun. For example,
we set the same environmental params when we execute "mpirun hostname"
- mpirun has no way of knowing the parallel vs serial nature of the
app it is launching, so it sets all the variables required by a
parallel job just-in-case.

Likewise, these variables will only tell you it is a parallel job
launched by OMPI. If you use another MPI (e.g., MVAPICH), none of
these would be set - yet it would still be a parallel job.

So it boils down to your particular mode of operation. If you only run
with OMPI, and you would only launch via OMPI's mpirun if you wanted
to execute in a parallel mode, then you could look for either of those
two environmental params. Otherwise, you may have to do as Doug
suggests and create your own "flag".

Ralph