Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Question about openmpi and msc nastran
From: Reuti (reuti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-20 09:07:07

Am 20.10.2008 um 14:17 schrieb Pedro G:

> On 10/20/08, Reuti <reuti_at_[hidden]> wrote: Hi,
>
> Am 20.10.2008 um 12:18 schrieb Pedro G:
>
> I would like to know if Msc Nastran supports openmpi.
>
> I have been searching in google about Nastran and Openmpi but I
> couldn't find if it works or not.
>
> Now I'm using lam/mpi for nastran parallel jobs, but I have some
> problems with lam, nastran and sge, so I'd like to upgrade to openmpi.
>
> do you have the source code of the application? If you have only
> the binary compiled for LAM, then you can't do anything to change.
> You checked the LAM/MPI Howto at the SGE website?
>
> No, I don't have the source code, the application seems to be able
> to work with openmpi since it has an option openmpi=yes in the
> command line, but I couldn't make it to work. Anyway, I think it is
> not fully supported yet since there is nothing about that option in
> the user manual
>
> About LAM/MPI I have already read the howto and did a tight
> integration. The problem is that Msc Nastran in parallel jobs start
> a new lam environment getting out of control of sge.
>
> I contacted with Nastran and they told that was a LAM/MPI or SGE
> problem.

No, IMO it's not. When they start a new LAM/MPI environment, they are
violating the granted slot allocation. What about the following
(although it would be more a discussion on the [GE suers] list:

- Suppose you have a tight LAM/MPI integration for other MPI programs.
- In your jobscript, change the $PATH, so that the found "lamboot"
points to e.g. /bin/true - i.e. doing nothing.
- When they then call "mpirun C", they should get the already started
LAM daemons.
- If mpiexec is not working, maybe the found mpiexec must also point
to a script to supply the proper "-np ..." values.
- When they call "mpiexec" in one-shot-mode, it must also be mapped
to a script to execute just the program, but not to do a "lamboot".

-- Reuti