Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Debian MPI -- mpirun missing
From: Terry Frankcombe (terry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-17 12:30:35

<snip>
> Well when I use Open MPI I go with the new convention and call orterun
> instead of mpirun. I think you should have. Maybe a local alias in your
> ~/.bashrc can do the trick.
>
> Current packages do have mpirun.openmpi but we were unable to devise a
> bullet-proof scheme between lam, mpich and Open MPI for sharing / updating /
> ... the alternatives links as there are sublte differences that prevent us
> from switching all these aliases consistently.

Eh? Surely it's a simple case of conflict? If you want multiple
packages providing similar functionality, it's up to you to specify how
the user should chose which one they want to run. Breaking any
particular package (or all packages) seems like a particularly poor
choice, but that's only my opinion.

I would argue that orterun is a very long way from a "new convention".
I'd draw attention to section 8.8 of the MPI 2.1 standard.

But again, this is a discussion for the Debian list.