Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OPENMPI 1.2.7 & PGI compilers: configure option --disable-ptmalloc2-opt-sbrk
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-11 08:03:39

I'm surprised that we have not yet put this info in our FAQ -- I'll
make a note to do so...

ptmalloc2 is a memory allocator that is only relevant for OpenFabrics
networks. If you're not using OpenFabrics, then you don't need it,
and you can safely disable ptmalloc2. FWIW, we have changed the
default behavior in the upcoming Open MPI v1.3 to include include
ptmalloc2 by default.

On Oct 10, 2008, at 11:18 AM, Francesco Iannone wrote:

> Dear openmpi users
>
> I have compiled oenmpi.1.2.7 with PGI 7.1-4 compilers with configure
> option “--disable-ptmalloc2-opt-sbrk” , to fix a segmentation fault
> in sysMALLOC function of “opal/mca/memory/ptmalloc2/malloc.c”.
>
> Anybody knows what it means to compile with this option ?
>
> thanks
>

> Dr. Francesco Iannone
> Associazione EURATOM-ENEA sulla Fusione
> C.R. ENEA Frascati