Subject: Re: [OMPI users] --enable-static --enable-shared using intel compilers
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-11 08:01:02

On Oct 9, 2008, at 7:56 PM, Rene Salmon wrote:

> on my configure line I specified "-static-intel" so why are the
> openmpi
> binaries not linking these in statically?

Have you tried putting that flag in LDFLAGS? The CFLAGS (and friends)
are compiler flags; the LDFLAGS is linker flags.

> If I run configure with --disable-static --enabled-shared (the
> default)
> the "-static-intel" flag sees to work and all the intel libs get
> statically linked into the openmpi executables.
>
> Also why does ompi_info dynamically link in libibverbs.so.1 and
> libmyriexpress.so? On nodes that do not have IB or MX installed
> ompi_info exists immediately stating it can't find the IB or MX libs.

This is a function of --enable-static. --enable-static also implies --
enable-mca-static, which means that all the plugins are sucked up into
libmpi (and friends). Hence, when ompi_info links against libmpi, it
also has to link against all the support libraries (e.g., libibverbs).

Cisco Systems