Subject: Re: [OMPI users] OpenMPI portability problems: debug info isn't helpful
From: Aleksej Saushev (asau_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-11 06:48:51

  Hello!

Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> writes:

> This is a very strange error; if this error message is from
> v1.2.7, then it means that the "rml" framework failed to select
> a component properly. That should not happen, because there is
> a single rml component that should always be available for
> selection (oob).
>
> Can you send all the information listed here:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/help/

Sure. Sorry, I overlooked it that time.

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/pkg/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is unset, RPATH is to be hardcoded into executable,
and it gets there properly as revealed with stock readelf(1) tool.

The actual message states:

[asau.local:25752] [NO-NAME] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file runtime/orte_init_stage1.c at line 182
It looks like orte_init failed for some reason; your parallel process is
likely to abort. There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during orte_init; some of which are due to configuration or
environment problems. This failure appears to be an internal failure;
here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
Open MPI developer):

  orte_rml_base_select failed
  --> Returned value -13 instead of ORTE_SUCCESS

[asau.local:25752] [NO-NAME] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file runtime/orte_system_init.c at line 42
[asau.local:25752] [NO-NAME] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Not found in file runtime/orte_init.c at line 52
Open RTE was unable to initialize properly. The error occured while
attempting to orte_init(). Returned value -13 instead of ORTE_SUCCESS.

configure.log is attached as configure.log.gz (see below).

Overall configure output when building from pkgsrc framework
is attached as ompi-conf.log.gz (see below).

Build output when building from pkgsrc framework is attached as
ompi-build.log.gz (see below).

Installation output when installing from pkgsrc framework is
attached as ompi-in.log.gz (see below).

Additional information.

pkgsrc framework does work correctly here, it even catches or
overrides some incompatibilities, when building OpenMPI from the
same tarball without pkgsrc framework, I get this:

libtool: compile: gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../../../opal/include -I../../../../orte/include -I../../../../ompi/include -I../../../.. -O3 -DNDEBUG -finline-functions -fno-strict-aliasing -pthread -MT backtrace_none_component.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/backtrace_none_component.Tpo -c backtrace_none_component.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/backtrace_none_component.o
backtrace_none_component.c:41: error: expected expression before ',' token
backtrace_none_component.c:51: warning: braces around scalar initializer
backtrace_none_component.c:51: warning: (near initialization for 'mca_backtrace_none_component.backtracec_version.mca_component_release_version')

Any further directions?

--
HE CE3OH...

  • application/octet-stream attachment: build log