Subject: [OMPI users] Problem launching onto Bourne shell
From: Hahn Kim (hgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-06 16:06:27

Hi,

I'm having difficulty launching an Open MPI job onto a machine that is
running the Bourne shell.

Here's my basic setup. I have two machines, one is an x86-based
machine running bash and the other is a Cell-based machine running
Bourne shell. I'm running mpirun from the x86 machine, which launches
a C++ MPI application onto the Cell machine. I get the following error:

    error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open

The basic problem is that LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to be set to the
directory that contains libstdc++.so.6 for the Cell. I set the
following line in .profile:

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/cell/toolchain/lib/gcc/ppu/4.1.1/32

which is the path to the PPC libraries for Cell.

Now if I log directly into the Cell machine and run the program
directly from the command line, I don't get the above error. But
mpirun still fails, even after setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH in .profile.

As a sanity check, I did the following. I ran the following command
from the x86 machine:

    mpirun -np 1 --host cab0 env

which, among others things, shows me the following value:

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tools/openmpi-1.2.5/lib:

If I log into the Cell machine and run env directly from the command
line, I get the following value:

    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/cell/toolchain/lib/gcc/ppu/4.1.1/32

So it appears that .profile gets sourced when I log in but not when
mpirun runs.

However, according to the OpenMPI FAQ (http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#adding-ompi-to-path
), mpirun is supposed to directly call .profile since Bourne shell
doesn't automatically call it for non-interactive shells.

Does anyone have any insight as to why my environment isn't being set
properly? Thanks!

Hahn

--
Hahn Kim, hgk_at_[hidden]