Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Problem building OpenMPi with SunStudio compilers
From: Raymond Muno (muno_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-04 12:21:27

Raymond Muno wrote:
>> We are implementing a new cluster that is InfiniBand based. I am
>> working on getting OpenMPI built for our various compile
>> environments. So far it is working for PGI 7.2 and PathScale 3.1. I
>> found some workarounds for issues with the Pathscale compilers (seg
>> faults) in the OpenMPI FAQ.
>>
>> When I try to build with SunStudio, I cannot even get past the
>> configure stage. It dies in th estage that checks for C++.
>
> It looks like the problem is with SunStudio itself. Even a simple CC
> program fails to compile.
>>
>> /usr/lib64/libm.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
OK, I took care of the linker issue fro C++ as recommended on Suns
support site (replace Sun supplied ld with /usr/bin/ld)

Now I get farther along but the build fails at (small excerpt)

mutex.c:(.text+0x30): multiple definition of `opal_atomic_cmpset_32'
asm/.libs/libasm.a(asm.o):asm.c:(.text+0x30): first defined here
threads/.libs/mutex.o: In function `opal_atomic_cmpset_64':
mutex.c:(.text+0x50): multiple definition of `opal_atomic_cmpset_64'
asm/.libs/libasm.a(asm.o):asm.c:(.text+0x50): first defined here
make[2]: *** [libopen-pal.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/muno/OpenMPI/SunStudio/openmpi-1.2.7/opal'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/muno/OpenMPI/SunStudio/openmpi-1.2.7/opal'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I based the configure on what was found in the FAQ here.

http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#build-sun-compilers

Perhaps this is much more specific to our platform/OS.

The environment is AMD Opteron, Barcelona running Centos 5 (Rocks 5.03)
with SunStudio 12 compilers.

Does anyone have any insight as to how to successfully build OpenMPI for
this OS/compiler selection? As I said in the first post, we have it
built for Pathscale 3.1 and PGI 7.2.

-Ray Muno
 University of Minnesota, Aerospace Engineering