Subject: Re: [OMPI users] compile openmpi with a gcc that is not default gcc??
From: Fabian Hänsel (fabian.haensel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-27 18:58:28

> My default gcc is 2.95.3, so I installed a newer version in my own
> home directory, it's gcc-3.4.4. Now I want to install openmpi and
> compile it with this new version. I dont know how to force it not to

You do generally compile and install openmpi (and many other free
software) by running

  make install

where configure looks for your system's peculiarities. Just tell
configure to use your own gcc by e.g. setting an environment variable:

  export CC=/home/mine/gcc/gcc

hint: you can also tell configure where to install openmpi with prefix,

  export CC=/home/mine/gcc/gcc
  ./configure --prefix=/home/mine/openmpi/

Maybe you'll have to set other env vars as well (if your system's
linker e.g. does not like the new gcc). For more information have a
look at configure's help (./configure --help)

Best regards