Subject: Re: [OMPI users] where is mpif.h ?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-24 11:40:38

On Sep 24, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Shafagh Jafer wrote:

> Yes, I am using the wrapper compilers. But in my simulator
> Makefile.common I am including the files from gcc and g++. Please
> see my attached makefile. I am also attaching my previouse
> Makefile.common which I was MPICH instead of openmpi. Please see
> both of them and see the defferences, you will see that in the new
> makefile, I am only commenting the MPICH related stuff and replacing
> gcc and g++ with mpicc and mpic++. Is there anything else I am doing
> wrong or I am not supposed not have in my new Make file??

You did a few other things, too. ;-) (do a diff -u between the two
files and you'll see the differences)

The OMPI Makefile.common looks ok (you don't need the -L for OMPI's
libs, but it's not harmful). I don't know exactly how it's used, but
from the context in that file, I guess it's ok.

FWIW, I'd guess that you should be able to use MPICH's wrapper
compilers in the same way that you use OMPI's wrapper compilers. I
don't know this for sure, but I do know that MPICH has wrapper
compilers and I was under the impression that they worked pretty much
like ours.

As for why you're getting those STL errors, are you able to compile
any C++ STL codes on your machine at all? I.e., do you know that the C
++ compiler and STL are installed and functioning properly? The OMPI
v1.2 C++ bindings use the STL in a few places; it looks like that is
failing to compile with some nebulous errors on your machine.

(FWIW, in the upcoming Open MPI v1.3, we have removed all uses of the
STL from our C++ bindings, at least partly due to the fact that we
have seen multiple users that have functional C++ compilers but broken
have STL installations)

Cisco Systems