Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Configure and Build ok, but mpi module not recognized?
From: Brian Harker (brian.harker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-22 17:52:21

Ok, here's something funny/weird/stupid:

Looking at the actual mpi.mod module file in the $OPENMPI_HOME/lib
directory, the very first line is:
GFORTRAN module created from mpi.f90 on Fri Sep 19 14:01:27 2008

WTF!? I specified that I wanted to use the ifort/icc/icpc compiler
suite when I installed (see my first post)! Why would it create the
module with gfortran? This would seem to be the source of my
troubles...

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Gus Correa <gus_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi Brian and list
>
> I read your original posting and Jeff's answers.
>
> Here on CentOS from Rocks Cluster I have a "native" OpenMPI, with a mpi.mod,
> compiled with gfortran.
> Note that I don't even have gfortran installed!
> This is besides the MPI versions (MPICH2 and OpenMPI)
> I installed from scratch using combinations of ifort and pgi with gcc.
> It may be that mpif90 is not picking the right mpi.mod, as Jeff suggested.
> Something like this may be part of your problem.
> A "locate mpi.mod" should show what your system has.
>
> Have you tried to force the directory where mpi.mod is searched for?
> Something like this:
>
> /full/path/to/openmpi/bin/mpif90 -module
> /full/path/to/openmpi_mpi.mod_directory/ hello_f90.f90
>
> The ifort man pages has the "-module" syntax details.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Gus Correa

> Gustavo J. Ponce Correa, PhD - Email: gus_at_[hidden]
> P.O. Box 1000 [61 Route 9W] - Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA
>

> Brian Harker wrote:
>
>> Hi Gus-
>>
>> Thanks for the input. I have been using full path names to both the
>> wrapper compilers and mpiexec from the first day I had two MPI
>> implementations on my machine, depending on if I want to use MPICH or
>> openMPI, but still the problem remains. ARGGGGGG!
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Gus Correa <gus_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello Brian and list
>>>
>>> My confusing experiences with multiple MPI implementations
>>> were fixed the day I decided to use full path names to the MPI compiler
>>> wrappers (mpicc, mpif77, etc) at compile time,
>>> and to the MPI job launcher (mpirun, mpiexec, and so on) at run time,
>>> and to do this in a consistent fashion (using the tools from the same
>>> install to compile and to run the programs).
>>>
>>> Most Linux distributions come with built in MPI implementations (often
>>> times
>>> more than one),
>>> and so do commercial compilers and other tools.
>>> You end up with a mess of different MPI versions on your "native" PATH,
>>> as well as variety of bin, lib, and include directories containing
>>> different
>>> MPI stuff.
>>> The easy way around is to use full path names, particularly if you
>>> install
>>> yet another MPI implementation
>>> from scratch.
>>> Another way is to fix your PATH on your initialization files (.cshrc,
>>> etc)
>>> to point to your preferred implementation (put the appropriate bin
>>> directory
>>> ahead of everything else).
>>> Yet another is to install the "environment modules" package on your
>>> system
>>> and use it consistently.
>>>
>>> My two cents.
>>>
>>> Gus Correa
>>>
>>> --
>>> Gustavo J. Ponce Correa, PhD - Email: gus_at_[hidden]
> [...]

Cheers,
Brian
brian.harker_at_[hidden]
"In science, there is only physics; all the rest is stamp-collecting."
 -Ernest Rutherford