Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Mpirun don't execute
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-22 17:14:52

Exactly what version of Open MPI are you using? You mentioned "1.3"
-- did you download a nightly tarball at some point, or do you have an
SVN checkout? Since you have a development copy of Open MPI, it is
possible that your copy is simply broken (sorry; we *do* break the
development head every once in a while...). Can you update?

Note that Josh just made some FT fixes on the trunk today that aren't
on the v1.3 branch yet; they'll likely take a day or three to get there.

On Sep 22, 2008, at 5:03 PM, Santolo Felaco wrote:

> Hi, this is my openmpi-default-hostfile:
> 127.0.0.1 slots=2
>
> If I invoke comand CTRL+C the application is not killed.
> With mpirun -np 1 uptime the comand is ever blocked.
>
> The comand is blocked with any comand, also comands not existent.
>
> Thanks.
>

> 2008/9/22 Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
> On Sep 19, 2008, at 6:50 PM, Santolo Felaco wrote:
>
> Hi, I try to be clearer:
> osa_at_libertas:~$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /usr/local/lib:/home/osa/blcr/lib
> osa_at_libertas:~$ echo $PATH
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/
> games:/home/osa/blcr/bin
>
> I compile the file with mpicc, then:
> osa_at_libertas:~/prove/openmpi$ mpirun -np 2 es1
>
> The comand is blocked. Don't run. CTRL+X does not end the program.
>
> Try ctrl-c -- that's usually the way to kill applications that
> appear to have been hung.
>

> This is ps output:
>
> osa_at_libertas:~/prove/openmpi$ mpirun -np 2 es1 &
> [1] 6151
> osa_at_libertas:~/prove/openmpi$ ps
> PID TTY TIME CMD
> 6135 pts/2 00:00:00 bash
> 6151 pts/2 00:00:00 mpirun
> 6153 pts/2 00:00:00 ssh
> 6161 pts/2 00:00:00 ps
>

> What is your program doing? Can you tell if it's getting past
> MPI_INIT, or even launching at all? Can you mpirun non-MPI
> applications, such as "hostname" and "uptime"?
>
> Are you launching this es1 application locally or remotely? From
> your command line and previous description, I *assume* that it's
> local, but I see an "ssh" in your ps output, possibly meaning that
> mpirun has launched the application remotely (e.g., if you specified
> a default hostfile or somesuch).
>

> --
> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems