Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Configure and Build ok, but mpi module not recognized?
From: Gus Correa (gus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-22 11:40:38

Hello Brian and list

My confusing experiences with multiple MPI implementations
were fixed the day I decided to use full path names to the MPI compiler
wrappers (mpicc, mpif77, etc) at compile time,
and to the MPI job launcher (mpirun, mpiexec, and so on) at run time,
and to do this in a consistent fashion (using the tools from the same
install to compile and to run the programs).

Most Linux distributions come with built in MPI implementations (often
times more than one),
and so do commercial compilers and other tools.
You end up with a mess of different MPI versions on your "native" PATH,
as well as variety of bin, lib, and include directories containing
different MPI stuff.
The easy way around is to use full path names, particularly if you
install yet another MPI implementation
from scratch.
Another way is to fix your PATH on your initialization files (.cshrc,
etc) to point to your preferred implementation (put the appropriate bin
directory ahead of everything else).
Yet another is to install the "environment modules" package on your
system and use it consistently.

My two cents.

Gus Correa

Gustavo J. Ponce Correa, PhD - Email: gus_at_[hidden]
P.O. Box 1000 [61 Route 9W] - Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA