Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Configure and Build ok, but mpi module not recognized?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-22 11:24:27

I unfortunately don't know ifort's precedence rules for finding
modules -- I actually don't even remember if -I is the right flag to
find them. mpif90 should be adding whatever flags are necessary to
find out mpi.mod, though -- but I'm wondering if MPICH's is being
found first, since it's in /usr/local/lib. Check the ifort man page,
I guess...? An easy way to test would be to rename /usr/local/lib/
mpi.mod to be /usr/local/lib/foo.mod, and then see if your compile
works. If it does, it might be simplest to install MPICH into
somewhere other than /usr/local.

You might also want to check your distro anyway; some distros are
shipping Open MPI these days and I don't know what options you need to
select to get their version of Open MPI installed by default (or not).

On Sep 22, 2008, at 11:14 AM, Brian Harker wrote:

> I built and installed both MPICH2 and openMPI from source, so no
> distribution packages or anything. MPICH2 has the modules located in
> /usr/local/include, which I assume would be found (since its in my
> path), were it not for specifying -I$OPENMPI_HOME/lib at compile time,
> right? I can't imagine that if you tell it where to look for the
> correct modules, it would search through your path first before going
> to where you tell it to go. Or am I too optimistic? Thanks again for
> the input!
>
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 8:58 AM, Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>> On Sep 22, 2008, at 10:10 AM, Brian Harker wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the reply...crap, $HOME/openmpi/lib does contains all the
>>> various lilbmpi* files as well as mpi.mod,
>>
>> That should be correct.
>>
>>> but still get the same
>>> error at compile-time. Yes, I made sure to specifically build
>>> openMPI
>>> with ifort 10.1.012, and did run the --showme command right after
>>> installation to make sure the wrapper compiler was using ifort as
>>> well.
>>
>> Ok, good.
>>
>>> Before posting to this mailing list, I did uninstall and re-install
>>> openMPI several times to make sure I had a clean install. Still no
>>> luck. :(
>>
>> Ok. Have you checked around your machine to ensure that there is
>> no other
>> mpi.mod that the compiler is finding first? E.g., in your MPICH2
>> installation? Or is Open MPI installed by your distro, perchance?
>> You
>> might want to try a "rpm -qa | grep openmpi" (or whatever your
>> distro's
>> equivalent is to check already-installed packages).
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Squyres
>> Cisco Systems

> Cheers,
> Brian
> brian.harker_at_[hidden]
>

> "In science, there is only physics; all the rest is stamp-collecting."
> -Ernest Rutherford

Cisco Systems