Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Configure and Build ok, but mpi module not recognized?
From: Brian Harker (brian.harker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-22 10:10:15

Hi Jeff-

Thanks for the reply...crap, $HOME/openmpi/lib does contains all the
various lilbmpi* files as well as mpi.mod, but still get the same
error at compile-time. Yes, I made sure to specifically build openMPI
with ifort 10.1.012, and did run the --showme command right after
installation to make sure the wrapper compiler was using ifort as
well.

Before posting to this mailing list, I did uninstall and re-install
openMPI several times to make sure I had a clean install. Still no
luck. :(

I do have MPICH2 installed, but I keep it isolated with the -I
specifier option at compile-time.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Jeff Squyres <jsquyres_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2008, at 6:51 PM, Brian Harker wrote:
>
>> I have configured openMPI to work with the Intel C (icc) and C++
>> (icpc) compilers, as well as the Intel fortran (ifort) compiler, and
>> built all the single choice buffer fortran 90 bindings:
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/openmpi CC=icc CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort
>> --enable-mpi-f90 --with-mpi-f90-size=medium
>
> That all looks correct.
>
>> which works fine. Ok. Onto make all install. Works fine too. Now
>> when I try to compile the example hello_f90.f90 program, I get the
>> following error:
>>
>>> $HOME/openmpi/bin/mpif90 hello_f90.f90 -I$HOME/openmpi/include
>
> FWIW, you shouldn't need that -I, but that *probably* shouldn't be causing
> your problem here (note that OMPI's F90 module file is installed into
> $prefix/lib, not $prefix/include).
>
>> fortcom: Error: hello_f90.f90, line 12: This module file was not
>> generated by any release of this compiler. [MPI]
>> use mpi
>> -----------^
>
> Two things to check:
>
> 1. Are you using exactly the same ifort to build Open MPI as mpif90 is? I
> assume it is, but it's worth checking. You can run the following to see
> exactly what mpif90 will execute:
>
> $HOME/openmpi/bin/mpif90 hello_f90.f90 -I$HOME/openmpi/include --showme
>
> And then run it yourself, ensuring that your $PATH is set to get the exact
> same ifort, etc. I'm *guessing* that this is all correct, but it's worth
> checking.
>
> 2. Check to see if there is another mpi.mod installed somewhere in the
> compiler search path that is not the mpi.mod that you expect. For example,
> you might want to "rm -rf $HOME/openmpi" to ensure to have a 100% clean Open
> MPI install. And look elsewhere on the machine for mpi.mod that may be
> found in the compiler search patch before the Open MPI-installed mpi.mod is
> found.
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> Cisco Systems

Cheers,
Brian
brian.harker_at_[hidden]
"In science, there is only physics; all the rest is stamp-collecting."
 -Ernest Rutherford