Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Odd MPI_Bcast behavior
From: Gregory D Abram (gabra_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-17 12:31:54

Wow. I am indeed on IB.

So a program that calls an MPI_Bcast, then does a bunch of setup work that
should be done in parallel before re-synchronizing, in fact serializes the
setup work? I see its not quite that bad - If I run my little program on 5
nodes, I get 0 immediately, 1,2 and 4 after 5 seconds and 3 after 10,
revealing, I guess, the tree distribution.

Ticket 1224 isn't terribly clear - is this patch already in 1.2.6 or 1.2.7,
or do I have to download source, patch and build?

             Jeff Squyres
             om> To
             Sent by: Open MPI Users <users_at_[hidden]>
             users-bounces_at_ope cc
                                       Re: [OMPI users] Odd MPI_Bcast
             09/17/08 11:55 AM behavior
             Please respond to
              Open MPI Users

Are you using IB, perchance?

We have an "early completion" optimization in the 1.2 series that can
cause this kind of behavior. For apps that dip into the MPI layer
frequently, it doesn't matter. But for those that do not dip into the
MPI layer frequently, it can cause delays like this. See

  for a few more details.

If you're not using IB, let us know.