Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Why compilig in global paths (only) for configuretion files?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-17 11:57:45

On Sep 17, 2008, at 9:49 AM, Paul Kapinos wrote:

> If we add an " -x OPAL_PREFIX " flag, and through forces explicitly
> forwarding of this environment variable, the error was not occured.
> So we mean that this variable is needed to be exported across *all*
> systhems in cluster.
>
> It seems, the variable OPAL_PREFIX will *NOT* be automatically
> exported to new processes on the local and remote nodes.
>
> Maybe the FAQ in http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=building#installdirs
> should be extended in this mean?

Hmm. I don't know why it's not exporting for you -- it *is*
automatically exporting OPAL_PREFIX for me (i.e., I don't need to
specify it on the mpirun/-x command line).

Is there any chance that your wrapper is overriding this variable, or
erasing the environment, or somesuch?

Ah -- here's another important point (after looking in the code):
OPAL_PREFIX is only automatically propagated *by Open MPI* when using
the rsh/ssh launcher. Is that what you are using? If not, OMPI
assumes that the resource manager propagates mpirun's environment out
to the back-end nodes. If this does not happen, then you'll need to -
x OPAL_PREFIX.

Cisco Systems