Subject: Re: [OMPI users] MPI_sendrecv = MPI_Send+ MPI_RECV ?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-15 15:53:51

On Sep 15, 2008, at 2:59 PM, Enrico Barausse wrote:

> that was indeed the problem, I'm an idiot (sorry...). I thought there
> was an explicit interface somewhere in the libraries that would signal
> a missing argument as a syntax error, so I did not check as carefully
> as I should have...

Unfortunately, F77 doesn't offer explicit interface checking. This
kind of problem can happen as a result of that. :-(

The F90 bindings are better at that (F90 is a strictly-typed
language), but other problems in the MPI F90 bindings design prevent
it from being truly useful (IMHO).

FWIW, in the MPI-3 effort, we are working at making F03 bindings that
are MPI bindings "better" than the F90 bindings (the definition of
"better" is still under debate ;-) -- the issues are surprisingly [to
me] complex).

Cisco Systems