Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Warnings in Ubuntu Hardy
From: Eugene Loh (Eugene.Loh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-08 13:38:28

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

>On 6 September 2008 at 22:13, Davi Vercillo C. Garcia ( ) wrote:
>| I'm trying to execute some programs in my notebook (Ubuntu 8.04) using
>| OpenMPI, and I always get a warning message like:
>|
>| libibverbs: Fatal: couldn't read uverbs ABI version.
>| --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>| [0,0,0]: OpenIB on host juliana was unable to find any HCAs.
>| Another transport will be used instead, although this may result in
>| lower performance.
>| --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>|
>| What is this ?!
>
>Uncomment this in /etc/openmpi/openmpi-mca-params.conf:
>
> # Disable the use of InfiniBand
> btl = ^openib
>
>which is the default in newer packages.

Is there some way the message could have been written so users wouldn't
have to solicit the alias for help? I don't know if the diagnosibility
of error messages has gotten much attention in the Open MPI community,
but I would think messages should be understandable and suggest user
actions in terms that a typical user would understand. In this case,
the message seems rather readable to me, but leaves the user far short
of the seemingly sensible advice that Dirk provides.