Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Setting up Open MPI to run on multiple servers
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-14 09:45:27

On Aug 13, 2008, at 9:58 PM, Rayne wrote:

> I just tried to explicitly specify where 32.out is on the server
> when using mpirun, and it worked. So the problem I had earlier did
> lie in the server not being able to find 32.out. So what should I do
> so that I don't have to explicitly specify the location of the
> program everytime I run mpirun? I tried including the directory
> under PATH in .bash_profile in my server, where the 32.out should
> run on, restarted the server, but it didn't work.

This shouldn't be necessary -- if both 32.out and 64.out are in the
same directory and you're *in* that directory, then OMPI should find
it because we add "." to the PATH. For example

shell$ ls
32.out
64.out
shell$ mpirun --host 32bithost.example.com -np 1 32.out \
               --host 64bithost.example.com -np 1 64.out

> Also, since having the 32-bit server run the 32-bit program and the
> 64-bit PC run the 64-bit program works, I guess it means my server
> cannot run the program compiled by my PC and hence, the mpirun
> failed when trying to get both the PC and server to run the same
> program compiled by the PC.

Keep in mind that you have to have had OMPI compiled for heterogeneous
operation. I think that worked for some transports back in v1.2 (TCP?).

Cisco Systems