Subject: Re: [OMPI users] cluster LiveCD
From: Michael Jennings (mej_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-07 16:09:31

On Thursday, 07 August 2008, at 15:03:24 (-0400),
Tim Mattox wrote:

> I think a better approach than using NFS-root or LiveCDs is to use Perceus in
> this situation, since it has been developed over many years to handle this
> sort of thing (diskless/stateless beowulf clusters):
> http://www.perceus.org/
> It leverages PXE booting so all you need to do on a per-node basis is enable
> PXE booting in the BIOS. The primary limitation I see would be if your
> windows machines are set up to use DHCP to get their IP addresses from
> some server that is outside your control, since Perceus would need to take
> over DHCP services to do its magic.

At the risk of being slightly off-topic, Perceus actually has no
problem working with a separate DHCP server. It has to be properly
configured to hand out the payload, of course, but it works fine.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings <mej_at_[hidden]>
Linux Systems and Cluster Admin