Subject: Re: [OMPI users] Heap profiling with OpenMPI
From: Jan Ploski (Jan.Ploski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-06 12:37:54

George Bosilca wrote:
> Jan,
>
> I'm using the latest of Open MPI compiled with debug turned on, and
> valgrind 3.3.0. From your trace it looks like there is a conflict
> between two memory managers. I'm not having the same problem as I
> disable the Open MPI memory manager on my builds (configure option
> --without-memory-manager).

Thanks for the tip! I confirm that the problem goes away after
rebuilding --without-memory-manager.

As I also have the same problem in another cluster, I'd like to know
what side effects using this configuration option might have before
suggesting it as a solution to that cluster's admin. I didn't find an
explanation of what it does in the FAQ (beyond a recommendation to use
it for static builds). Could you please explain this option, especially
why one might want to *not* use it?

Regards,
Jan Ploski