Subject: [OMPI users] Heap profiling with OpenMPI
From: Jan Ploski (Jan.Ploski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-05 11:21:35

Hi,

I wanted to determine the peak heap memory usage of each MPI process in my
application. Using MVAPICH it can be done by simply substituting a wrapper
shell script for the MPI executable and from that wrapper script starting
"valgrind --tool=massif ./prog.exe". However, when I tried the same
approach with OpenMPI, I got no output from massif (empty output file),
even though the MPI process ran and finished as expected. Can someone
explain this or provide an alternative way of obtaining the same
information (preferably one that does not require source code
instrumentation and recompiling)?

Best regards,
Jan Ploski

--